Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ostriches Anyone?


There are two types of people in the world. I know you're thinking I'm going to say something like optimists and pessimists, and in some ways, I am.  The two types of people are those who want to know what's wrong and how to fix it, and those who are afraid to find out.  You might call them something else, but that's how I see them, and this is my blog, so.....The former want to know what you're doing.  They want to know how they can help.  Then, they help, sometimes too much.  The latter?  Well, they stick their heads in the sand.  When you try to pull them out, they fight you.  They think of every possible reason why they can't do what you ask, why it just won't work.  They put more energy into being obstinate than they would have used just giving what you asked a try.    I know you won't be surprised that I prefer the former here in the Trenches.  I would much rather have a client who is too proactive, who is constantly thinking about new angles and new arguments (and calling and emailing me about them), than one who argues against everything.  Both clients argue with me; one is challenging and invigorating, and one is exhausting.  I can only hope the ostrich client pulls himself out of the sand and decides to help, rather than hinder, their case.  Some of them do, but for most of them, it's just how they are.  Frustrating.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment