Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Anchorage - Alaska


Here I go with my good intentions again.  I am in Anchorage (yes, that's Alaska) this week. That picture is the view from my hotel room (for once, I am not overlooking the parking lot).  The ABA Family Law Section's Spring CLE (continuing legal education) program is here.  Before it starts, the military law committee likes to produce a stand alone CLE for military legal assistance officers and local judges on family law issues and the military.  I'm speaking on custody laws and the military with Atlanta attorney Patty Shewmaker today.  I'm a littles nervous and excited.  Anyway, I fully intended to post before Wednesday, but the dog ate my homework.  Not really, but I couldn't get the in flight internet to work on the nine hour flight here, then I was too exhausted to even stand up once I got here. Yesterday, I will admit that I took the day off to recuperate.
As you might imagine, I have been spending quite a bit of time with Patty and her husband Steve (who is also her law partner) the last few days.  This is Patty and Steve's first ABA Family Law conference.  As you might expect, the talk drifts a lot to the Trenches.  What always fascinates me is that no matter where your Trenches are located physically, most everyone's experiences are the same.  The Trenches are a very stressful place to work, and it helps to share what's going on in your neck of the woods with others who understand. Conferences are a great place for that because you can share with people who aren't going to be sitting across the courtroom from you. You can be more open with frustrations and quandries and laugh at some of the sillier moments.  What's interesting is watching newbies to the conference get that.  It's like a lightbulb gong on when they realize that life in Trenches is the same no matter where you are, and that we all have a common bond in that.  It's especially great when you meet people who have similar attitudes toward what we do.  Yes, I love the programs:  I always learn something that helps me to be a better lawyer.  Usually more than just something.  The real value, however, is in the connections we make and the experiences we share with each other. It's worth the trip to Alaska in the off season - Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment