Monday, June 17, 2013

Running Water

     
       The move to our new home is almost complete.  We're actually occupying the space, but there are still a few things that need doing.  Today was our first normal work day in a while.  I really had no idea how out of whack we were until today.  I went into the office, worked on cases, answered emails, edited pleadings, participated in a few phone calls, and went home at a normal time.  I had time for a swim (I love summer) and a walk with the puppies.  I thought of a few ideas for the blog, and here I am.  I'm sure you've noticed my posting has been rather sporadic over the last month or so.  It's because my life was out of sync and my schedule was non-existent.  I was lucky to get all of  the "must do" work done, let alone anything optional.  I felt tired, edgy and generally out of sorts.  Some days were better than others, but generally they were not so good.  Today, I feel like everything is back to where it's supposed to be (running water in the bathroom sink will do that for you), and all is right with the world.
        As luck would have it, one of my clients is having a particularly difficult time right now.  He doesn't want a divorce and doesn't believe in it.  He's been married a long time, and while the marriage wasn't perfect, he thought it was pretty good - until his wife told him she was miserable.  Everything he did in their adult life, he did for them, with an eye toward spending the rest of their lives together.  Now, not only is he moving homes, he is also shifting his vision from a future together to one alone.  He's having to defend actions he thought were joint, but really weren't.  Every time he feels like he's getting his balance, something new is thrown at him, and off he goes again.  Some things he's doing very well and others he doesn't do well at all.  The least little thing throws him off completely.  His life is kind of like my move, only with more emotional upheaval.  Eventually, everything will come together, including his emotions, and one day he'll wake up and feel really good.  They'll be running water in his bathroom sink and all will be right with his world.  That day is not today, and we understand.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment