Thursday, May 15, 2014

I've Fallen and I Can't Get Up


My mom lives alone.  It's a sad fact of widowhood, especially when you are relatively young and in good health.  Certainly, she has her devoted dog, Lillie, to be with her, but it's not the same as another human being.  For one thing, Lillie, smart as she is, can neither answer a phone nor place a call.  She is also unable to open a door.  What happens if something happens to my Mom?  Who will know that she is not alright?  Who will get in the house to help her?  Luckily, my mom is a smart woman.  She has neighbors, a close friend, and some relatives with a key to the house.  She made sure that we all have everyone else's phone numbers.  I know if I'm worried about her because I can't reach her, there are at least 4 people I can call.  I don't need to worry that she'll be one of those people who has a medical emergency and no one finds them for days.


A lot of our folks here in the Trenches could learn a thing or two from my mom.  Most of them are now the only adults in their home.  Yes, their children may be with them, but many of their children are too young to be much help in an emergency.  Yet, most of them don't have a plan like my mom.  No one else has a key to their house.  No one has contact information for their closest relative or friend.  Their closest relative or friend doesn't have anyone to call if they're worried.  Our clients have never had to think about these issues, because they always had their spouse.  Except now they don't.  What would happen if you fell and couldn't get up? If the phone was just out of your reach?  Isn't it time you thought about it? Here in the Trenches. 

No comments:

Post a Comment