Friday, July 4, 2014

The Genius Bar


I have had six months of computer problems.  First, the hard drive on my laptop died.  Then, I couldn't get my old programs onto it without upgrading my operating system.  When I upgraded my operating system, the spinning wheel of death would hardly let me log in.  Then, when I wiped the operating system it wouldn't let me reload my old one.  After four months of typing this blog on my iPad (no easy task, mind you, and a reason for the paucity of my posts), I went in today to the Apple Store.  Turns out the new hard drive had failed.  Again, they had to replace my hard drive.  Again, I was impressed with the folks at the Apple Store, not the least of which because one of the genius's there gave me some of his personal Excedrin for my migraine.

As I sat waiting for my computer to be repaired, I again looked around the store.  It was a busy place, people buying electronics, people learning how to use their electronics, people coming in to have their electronics fixed.  The people in the latter category were not all that happy, as you might imagine.  Just like the last time I was there, the people who worked at the Apple Store were wonderful.  They greeted everyone with a smile and a kind word.  They were reassuring.  They were helpful.  It would take an insanely angry person to stay upset, given the wonderful way they were being treated.  I asked the Geniuses who helped me if any of them ever lost their cool.  They said it happens - rarely, and only as a response.  Usually, they just save it for the back room.  That's how they're trained.  It's also why they're chosen to work there in the first place.

Here in the Trenches, and especially in my office, we have quite a few of our own "Geniuses".  As you might imagine, a lot of our clients are angry and upset.  Sometimes, they want to shoot the messenger.  We understand that; it's an effect of being in the Trenches.  We, however, don't shoot back.  We listen, we smile, we reassure, and we explain.  We do our best to help.  We care.  Most of our clients know that.  They calm down.  Some don't.  Certainly, we get upset.  We're only human.  We just save it for the back room.  That's how we're trained.  That's why we work here in the first place.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment