Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Five Ways Working With Your Personal Trainer Will Help Your Divorce


As you all know, Daughter is a personal trainer.  Daughter also just moved back to Maryland, so instead of training me online, she trains me in person.  I am not your typical online training customer, in that I do all the exercises she tells me to do, just as if she were in the room with me.  It is not the same as having her with me, but it gets the job done.  Anyway, on Saturday, she was putting me through my paces.  It was rough.  She was cheering me on, telling me I could do it.  I was telling her I hated her, and wondered why I let her grow to adulthood.  She praised my finishing the workout.  I told her to shut up.  She told me it was for my own good.  It, of course, is.  I have dropped time off my running.  I was told I looked hot at my son's wedding. All thanks to Daughter.  So, thank you, Daughter,  You are the best, even if I don't tell you while you're torturing me.

Working with Daughter got me thinking about the Trenches.  The folks who walk through my door know they need to be there.  They really don't want to do what they have to do, but they need the result.  I tell them what they need to do to move forward.  It's not easy.  They get frustrated.  They wonder why they are paying good money so I can make them do the things they don't want, so I can teach them a new way of relating that they don't want to do.  They trust me. They trust that I'm helping them do the right thing for them.  Then, one day it all falls together.  Everything I've been saying, everything I've made them do suddenly makes sense.  It all works.  They feel better.  They get what they need and move on.  They take back all the terrible things they were thinking about me.

Aside from the similarities, in what ways will working with your personal trainer help your divorce?

1.   Working out releases stress.  Believe me, you have more than enough stress when you're in the Trenches.
2.   In order to do #1, you need a personal trainer.  When you're under stress, the last thing you want to do is work out.  What you really want to do is stay in bed and pull the covers over your head.  Having a trainer makes you go to the gym.  Accountability matters.
3.  Your trainer will help you feel successful at a time when you don't feel like you're doing much right.  Doesn't everyone need a cheerleader?
4.  Your trainer will make sure you do things right.  Poor form and too much weight spell injury.  Injury will keep you out of the gym and make you feel unsuccessful.  Good form and appropriate weight will keep you on the slow and steady path to being and staying in good shape.
5.  You will feel better and look great.  Isn't living well the best revenge?

Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment