Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Why Would I Link Up With You?


I received another LinkedIn request from a former client.  I get those every so often.  When I do, I think  long and hard about whether to accept.  LinkedIn is all about relationships; I'm all about relationships.  Unlike Facebook, LinkedIn remains on a professional level, so usually I have no difficulty accepting a LinkedIn request from a former client.  It's nice to connect on another level with people, as I really do like most of my clients.  Present clients are a different matter altogether.  I don't know why I draw that distinction, but I do.  It's probably because at that point, we have a different relationship than two professionals relating on a professional level.  I am relating on a professional level, but they are very much at a personal level, and remain there until the representation is over.

Every once in a while, I receive a LinkedIn request from a former client that makes me angry.  I pour my heart and soul into representing my clients.  Some I care about more than others - whether it's because the cause was more compelling or the client's situation touched my heart, or maybe it's because their case dragged on for years and I got to know them.  That's OK.  What is not OK is when those clients run up a bill and don't pay it.  I tell all my clients that if they can't pay the bill, call me and we'll work something out.  Most listen to me.  Others do not.

It really hurts to pour your heart and soul into a case and have the client not value what you do enough to make some payment toward it without constant nagging or a court judgment.  One client like that never finished paying her bill, and sent me a LinkedIn request.  Two other clients declared bankruptcy, which wiped out my bill.  I get that people have financial difficulties, but the two who declared bankruptcy never called me first to tell me:  I found out when I received a copy of the bankruptcy notice from the court.  Those clients, I represented through a parental kidnapping where I got the children back and the other through a really difficult custody case.  Not so much as a "I'm sorry I have to declare bankruptcy and your bill is part of it."  They both sent me LinkedIn requests.  Why would I join to my business network people who can't take care of their own business, and people who didn't respect mine?  Are they that clueless?  Thanks for letting me rant.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment