Monday, April 18, 2016

More Senseless Loss


Finally, a new iPad and a keyboard.  I never post at the office, and without an up to date iPad or computer, I was unable to post at home.  I practically hugged the UPS guy when he delivered the keyboard.  There have been so many posts in my head, all spinning around, and no place to put them. I had grand ideas for the first new iPad post,.....then I read Facebook this morning.

As you know, I am the "grandma" for Son's wrestling team.  I go to all the matches, home and away (but only the finals of tournaments - I served my time when Son wrestled).  I know the kids, some better than others, and more so as the years have gone on.  Last night, one of Son's wrestlers who graduated last year was murdered.  Yes, I said murdered.  The police don't know why and no cause or altercation was apparent.   It doesn't matter; he's still dead.  I can't believe it.  Neither can Son.

As I was walking Puppy Boy this morning, I was thinking about the young people I have known and for whom I have cared who have died in the last four years:  Office T, my friend's daughter, and now this young man.  In my humble opinion, none of those deaths make sense.  I am sure their parents would give anything to have another day, minute or hour with their child.  I am sure they have so many things they want to say, so many hugs and kisses they want to give, and I know they would pay any price to just see their child alive again.  I am sure they regret the angry words said, the time spent away from their child, and the moments where they were just too busy with life.  It breaks my heart.

It especially breaks my heart when I see so many parents here in the Trenches fighting over things concerning their children that really aren't that important.  It seems callous to say, because I know so many of these seemingly unimportant things feel so urgent and important, but I wonder if these parents knew that today was the last day they would spend with their child, would they choose to spend it disagreeing over these things?  Would they really like their child's last memory of them to be that their parents were bickering over something that in the scheme of things, really didn't matter?  Would they want to know that they wasted minutes and hours of time they could have spent with their child arguing with the other parent.  I think that should be the barometer - is something important enough to fight over that if today were the last day of your child's life, you wouldn't regret having done it?  Food for thought.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment