Wednesday, September 19, 2012

The Toe and the Knee, Round 3

       
          Here we are with Round 3 of the toe and the knee.  For those of you who haven't been reading carefully, or who have missed a day here or there, here's where we are.  The saga started when I began running in an different model of shoe.  Next thing I know, my big toe on the right foot started to hurt - badly.  So did my knee.  I traded in the shoes with Joe at my favorite running store, Potomac River Running in Rockville, and went back to my old faithfuls (For more on this, see my blog on the subject).  Still, the toe, especially hurt.  So, Round 1, I went to see my friend the podiatrist.  He took an x-ray and said he thought it was the sagamoid joint.  I should take a course of ibuprophen for 10 days and I'd be fine.  Not a bad call (in hindsight), but still no relief for the knee.  So, onto Round 2, an appointment with an orthopedist, who barely touched my leg, but sent me for an MRI of my foot.  Even though the radiologist said he couldn't see anything, the orthopedist diagnosed arthritis in the toe and also IT band tendonitis.  He ordered physical therapy.  I finished the physical therapy, and didn't try to run again until just after Labor Day.  I hardly ran that week, but the pain can only be described as exquisite.  I decided to try a different orthopedist - Round 3.  Another round of tests, and he found no arthritis anywhere (I feel younger just saying that).  He manipulated my knee and my toe - a lot.  He thought sagamoid joint in the toe....until I told him about the podiatrist and the anti-inflammatory.  So, it wasn't that.  We both looked at the x-rays and talked about what they showed.  Then he was a bit stumped, but we talked about it.  Maybe a compressed nerve.  If so, 6 days of steroids should clear it up.  If not, I call and have a consult with his colleague who does feet and ankles (Hey, we all specialize).  I feel like it's a long journey to a diagnosis, and I don't know if it's the right one yet, but we'll see, because I AM running in the Disney Princess Half Marathon.
       So, what does all this have to do with the Trenches?  As usual, plenty.  Let's focus on just one aspect - the doctor.  I love my podiatrist, so he's not part of this discussion.  I'd like to talk about the two orthopedists.  I'm sure both orthopedists are competent doctors.  Why do I have more confidence in the second one?  Well, although I know many patients just want the doctor to pronounce what is wrong with them and come up with a diagnosis, I'm not one of them.  I like to discuss what's going on and feel like the doctor and I are working together to diagnose the problem and resolve it.  The second doctor might not be better than the first doctor, but he sure felt better to me.  I have confidence in him that I didn't have with the first doctor.  It all comes down to what feels right in the fit between the patient and doctor.
         It's the same with lawyers and their clients.  I might be the best lawyer in the world, but if there isn't a connection between me and my client, if it doesn't feel like a fit, then how good I am doesn't matter.  The client will not be happy.  I like to work with my clients the way I like my doctor to work with me.  It's their life, not mine, so I expect my clients to work with me to resolve their issues.  I expect them to do some of the heavy lifting.  After all, it doesn't seem right that I care more than they do about their lives.  Some clients really like that approach, and we have a great relationship.  Others, not so much or not at all.  Hopefully, either I or those clients realize it in time to send them to someone who can help in a way that resonates with them.  A good fit is the most important indicator of a satisfactory result - here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment