Monday, October 8, 2012

Happy Birthday to Me


 Today's my birthday.  I am spending it the same way I have spent each of my birthdays for the majority of my life - with my parents.  I figure that Mom and Dad were there at the beginning, so it's only right we mark that anniversary together.  Funny thing is, even on my 13th anniversary of my 39th birthday (there, I said I told you how old I am), I marvel that I can still celebrate with both of them.  As my regular readers know, Daddy is 91 years old.  He was 39 when I was born.  As a child (and a worrier), I used to figure out what age he would be at each of my milestone birthdays, and wonder if he'd still be here.  When I was a child, I really didn't think he would still be here when my children were adults, but I come from hardy stock.  Mom was a different story.  Mom was only 24 when I was born, so I never had the same thoughts about her mortality.  She still looks pretty much the same as I remember her as a child (gorgeous).  Sure, she's slowed down a bit, but haven't we all?  Well, you all know Daddy hasn't had a particularly good year, health wise.  Even though my parents have help at least 12 hours every day, the brunt of Dad's care falls to Mom.  Well, I thought, Mom is strong, and with all the help, she'll be fine.  Until she wasn't.  I got here just in time for Mom to pass out and fall.  She's fine (especially if you take a look at the other guy), but what a scare.  She's fine - a lot bruised, but fine; I'm a little unnerved.  
Anyway, it got me thinking about the Trenches (I know, I need a life).  Here in the Trenches, our clients worry about so many things.  Some of the things they worry about happen, but most do not.  Most clients, like me and my Dad, worry about things that will not ever happen, and if they do, there's nothing we can do about them.  It doesn't make the worry any less real.  The things they should worry about, they don't think about, until it smacks them in the face.  Our job here in the Trenches is to make sure they think about the things they should and worry less about the things they shouldn't.  Fear is not a rational thing, however, so just telling a client once won't do it.  The clients have to experience, each step of the way, that the worst does not and will not occur (when the worst is an irrational thought, of course).  Only by our helping them with this experience can they focus on the issues that are important but not obvious.  Kind of like my worrying a bit more about Mom.  That's what we do - Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment