Monday, February 4, 2013

Choices


Since the beginning of the new year, I note that I have not been as faithful a correspondent as I would like.  For that, I apologize.  Sometimes, new and important things and experiences take up more time than you expect, and the time has to come from somewhere.  Take teaching collaborative divorce at the University of Maryland School of Law, for example.  I always wanted to teach law school, and when Suzy Eckstein arranged with Jana Singer for this opportunity, I jumped at the chance.  Then, I learned what my brother in law and my son, the teachers, always said - it takes at least 6 hours to prepare for every 3 hour class.  On top of that, teaching in Baltimore on Friday morning means that I can't count on being back in the office until 2:30 or 3:00 on Friday afternoon.  Kind of shoots the whole day in the foot.  Through the end of April, I have only 4 days a week in the office.  I don't regret it, it's something I always wanted to do,  but it does cause some stress.
Then, of course, there's wrestling season for the high school team my son coaches.  Again, as I've said in earlier posts, wrestling is something my son and I share, and that's important.  Wrestling meets are, however, at 5:30 or 6:00 in the afternoon, and the meets are usually about an hour away from the office, so again, I have to leave work early.  It's important enough that it's worthwhile, so I deal with it.  How come most of wrestling is in January and February?  Oh yes, it's a winter sport.  The regular season ended yesterday, so that's a bit of time I can now spend back in the office.
Sometimes, life gives you choices and you have to make them.  My choice is to write less right now.  Sorry, but there has to be some time to help clients - Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment