Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What Will You Remember?


As you know, I spent last weekend at Disney World.  I was lucky enough to spend it with two people who enjoy it as much as do I, and whose company I love. We had a blast with each other.  While there, I saw tons of families.  I know, big surprise.  It brought back memories of when I was there when my children were little.  It was magical to watch them explore and enjoy the Magic Kingdom.  I miss those days.  The interesting thing about my observations this weekend was the number of parents who were.....texting on their cell phones.  That's right, while their children were agog with wonder, the parents were checking their email and texting their friends.  Probably about how much fun the family was having at Disney.  When their children are adults, these parents won't have the same memories as I.  How sad.  How many times are we not fully present in our lives?  Sure, sometimes it's because we're on that boring conference call, but often that behavior carries over into the rest of our lives.  We're so used to multi-taking that we forget to live in the moment and really savor the important moments of our lives.  Soon, life passes us by, our spouses feel ignored, our children resent us, and we end up in the Trenches.  Not only that, but we have no beautiful memories to sustain us.  Tragic.  Thank goodness it's not me - or you - Here in the Trenches

No comments:

Post a Comment