Monday, May 20, 2013

Feast or Famine and Utter Chaos?


Why is it that here in the Trenches, it is either feast or famine?  I don't just mean with clients and work, although that's part of it.  I think one minute of one day I reached equilibrium in everything - and then I blinked and it was gone.  We either have new clients coming out of our ears, or none at all.  Either all of our clients pay their bills in full, or almost no one does.  We settle all of our cases, or they all seem to go to trial.  We either move into our new office or everything takes way longer than we thought.  Oops!  How did that last one sneak in?  We finally have building inspection approval, and the use and occupancy folks think it's great idea to make us wait as long as possible to receive a certificate of occupancy.  I figure I'll eventually move into my space.  The difficulty is that with all these new clients and contested cases and no place except my home office to call my own, the chaos feels multiplied.  It's not that things are any more or less chaotic than ever, but being homeless, so to speak, makes it seem so much more topsy turvy.  Lacking that physical anchor of a set geographic location makes me feel asea without a compass.  I never realized how much having order somewhere, no matter how small a place in my life, is so vital.
Isn't that so like how our clients feel here in the Trenches?  Their lives are turned upside down emotionally, financially and physically.  Chaos in any one of these areas would be enough to unsettle most people, and for our clients here in the Trenches, all three areas are in disarray.  Without an anchor in any one area, they have trouble navigating the rest of their lives.  For some of them, what they need is something so small as cleaning and organizing a closet or a desk.  They just need something they can control and on which they can impose some semblance of order.  From that one small victory over chaos, clients can begin to feel hope that their lives will become predictable and make sense again.  It's not much, but it's everything, and it makes the difference between moving on successfully or imploding fantastically.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment