Thursday, May 2, 2013

Mutual Support


Another exhausting day.  Started work with an 8am phone call with my team in a new collaborative case, and ended with an 8pm phone call with the coach in another new collaborative case.  In between,  a colleague dropped everything to help me brainstorm, and one of my favorite retired judges called at 6:30pm and agreed to do a last minute mediation to help our client settle a case and avoid a trial on Monday morning.  I couldn't help but reflect, as I hung up on that last phone call, how truly fortunate we are to work within this particular family law community.  Our team in the first phone call struggled to develop a plan to really support our clients in a way to help them reach a durable agreement and maintain an effective parenting relationship for their adult children.  In the last call, we took time from taking care of our families to discuss our client to make sure we take care of her in our meeting tomorrow.  As for the judge, well, how many people would drop everything at the last minute to mediate a difficult case....on a Friday afternoon, much less call the attorney back at 6:30pm?  It doesn't surprise me, because I know how much this man cares about families.  My colleague knows I'd do the same for her (and I have) - because we care what happens to our clients.  In such a difficult business, we're blessed to be surrounded by professionals who care about people and love what they do.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment