Monday, April 29, 2013

Silver Linings


As I move my main office from Montgomery County to Frederick County after almost 19 years, I've been thinking a lot about my blessings.  I think about Ellen Pattin, an attorney who happened to have an open office at a time I needed one, thus beginning a relationship and a friendship that lasted until her death last year.  I think about how, when I needed an assistant and paralegal, I was in a case with an attorney who was retiring and needed to find a good home for his; thus, Chrystal found a new calling, and I found a right hand and the best friend I could hope to have.  When I needed part time help doing office work, one of my son's friends needed a part-time job; and there was Erin, who stayed at the office through college and beyond, and became my other daughter.  When I needed a bit more part time help, my daughter's boyfriend needed some work between semesters; the relationship with daughter ended, but you all know how much Office T meant to me.  Then, there are the landlords who looked out for me, and found me my moving man and my electrician.  Finally, there's Jimmy Hickes, the man who cleans my office.  Actually, he has the contract for the common area of the whole office park, and we lucked into his being available to clean my office as well (I told you I was lucky).  He's the person I will really miss when we move this week.  Jimmy is a truly good person with a huge heart.  I could go on and on about all the Vietnam Vets he's given jobs and worried about through the years.  The hours upon hours he spends helping out and visiting at the VA.  I love our after-hours talks about everything from current events to the state of our and our families' health.  I will miss seeing him every week.  He's become a friend.  Aren't I lucky for all my good fortune?  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment