Thursday, December 19, 2013

It's Not Just One Dog; It's a Pack


I was served with a subpoena today.  It seems the opposing counsel in a case in which I was involved wants me to testify against my former client.  Really?  Are you that desperate?  I guess the answer is "yes."  There are numerous reasons why that is not OK.  We can start with attorney-client privilege, the confidentiality of the settlement process and follow it all up with the Rules of Professional Conduct, all of which say I shouldn't have to testify.  The other attorney doesn't care.  Winning for their client is everything, and I guess the end justifies the means.  I followed that by a case in which the other attorney did next to nothing throughout the entire representation, including drafting documents he agreed to do so that I had to.  Did he apologize?  Did he seem the least bit repentant?  Nope.   The not so surprising thing is that their clients are just like them.  I wish I could say this type of behavior is confined to lawyers and clients, but I can't.  It's wrestling season, and as mom of the coach, I attend all the matches.  The first match of the season, our boys were doing very well.  Then two wrestlers from the other team faked injuries so they could get a rest and their second wind during their match and a third purposefully untied his shoelace for the same reason (if you've never seen a shoelace on a wrestling shoe, trust me that it can take a few minutes to get it trussed up right.).  The rests turned the tide on the matches.  It was obvious that their behavior was sanctioned by the coach. We know what kind of attorneys and clients they will make, don't we?   Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment