Thursday, April 14, 2011

You're Talking: What Are They Hearing?


Every once in a while, you need to go back to basics. The basics in the trenches are communication skills.  Not how you say it, but how it is heard.  I was taken back to school today, luckily by one of my favorite clients.  As part of the settlement of her case, title to her house is being transferred.  Settlement is tomorrow.  I bet you're starting to see where this is going, right?  So the client calls the office very upset because I didn't make sure that everything was happening on time.  Huh?  The settlement was ready to go; what was she talking about?  She was talking about the settlement.  Well, so was I.  Trouble was, I was talking about the settlement of the transfer of the house; she was talking about the entire settlement package, all of the terms, conditions, money and property transfers related to her divorce.  Yes, it took us a few minutes to realize that we were talking about two separate things, and we had a good laugh over it.  The conversation gave me pause, however.  How many times do I speak, thinking that the other person is interpreting what I'm saying the way I mean it?  How often do I check?  Quite a bit, but probably not enough.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment