Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Office Staff a/k/a Would it Kill You to Be Nice?


I have been making the rounds of doctors.  Nothing wrong, just check up time.  During these visits, I've noticed something that really bothers me.  I love my doctors - I have really good service providers.  Most of them, however, manage to find front office staff that are either completely lacking in personality, rude, nasty, or all of the above.  I have now been to two offices in a row where the person at the front desk did not greet me, did not wish me a good morning and did not make eye contact.  The first words out of their mouths were "Insurance card."  Then, they demanded my drivers license and shoved a clipboard containing the same questionaire I fill out every single year, even though none of the information has changed.  Still, no eye contact, no small talk, no nothing.  The only other words I hear from them are "How much is your co-pay?" (and why don't they know that?)  I don't know about you, but going to the doctor is somewhat stressful for me.  You never know if they're going to find something.  I don't want to be there.  I'm a little apprehensive.  Well, by the time I'm done with the person at the front desk, I want to kill someone or cry, I'm never sure which; I just know I'm tense.  Puts me in a great frame of mind to see the doctor (Yes, I'm being sarcastic).
Three of my doctor's offices are different.  I love going to them.  It's not because the particular doctor visit is less stressful, and in fact, for these particular providers, the chance that something could be wrong is even greater than the others.  The reasons I love going there are:
1)  They greet me when I walk in the door.  Nothing big, just "Hello."
2)  They make eye contact.
3)  I still give them the same cards and information, but they ask for it in a conversational way.
4)  They are kind and caring, yet still professional.
5)  They let me know they understand that being there can be stressful.
You're probably thinking that they're just acting like people.  You'd be right.  The question is, why are they so unusual in the medical field?
It brings us around to the Trenches, doesn't it?  Our clients are scared, nervous, emotional, angry, and just plain stressed out.  Most of them have never been to a lawyer before, and may never use one again.  The law and the judicial system are foreign to them.  How do we treat them when they call our offices?  When they walk in the door?  Do we just demand information, shove paperwork in front of them?  Or, do we greet them by name, ask how they are, welcome them to our offices and ask them for the information we need to help them.  Do we have smiles in our voices?  It's the little things that make the difference.  I would rather my office is one people want to call and come into rather than dread.  Wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment