Monday, December 12, 2011

I'm Back!


Well, Christmas cookies are done and delivered (Whew!).  Time to focus on the Christmas....emergencies.  Every three or so years, they come streaming out of the woodwork.  The last time that happened, we had a husband threatening to drive through a picture window and plotting to kill his wife, and a little chest butting at a Christmas concert.  It was so crazy, I nearly threw out the holiday gifts I was wrapping.  This year is slightly less crazy (thank goodness for my gift recipients!), but between now and Christmas, I have two emergency hearings, one truly ridiculous custody trial, and another potential emergency.  Makes my shoulder hurt just thinking about it.  All except one of this year's emergencies are nothing but power plays about parental control.  In each case, there are clear court orders setting forth what the holiday access is supposed to be, and those court orders were by agreement between the parents, and not forced on them by a judge.  It's cases like these that make me despair for humankind, because the only conclusion I can draw from them is that the other parent made an agreement never intending to honor it.  Who suffers for that?  The children.  It's always the children,  but parents like these don't care.  It breaks my heart, but keeps us in business - here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment