Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Why I love Facebook


I had a good friend back in law school.  I really liked her and we were pretty close.  Then, I moved to Maryland.  We still kept in touch - Christmas cards, mostly.  Until the year the Christmas card came back.  I thought it might be just a glitch with the postal service, so I sent a card the next year.  It came back too.  I couldn't believe my friend had moved and didn't let me know.  I still don't know what happened with the Christmas card.  What came afterward was almost 19 years without contact.  Then came Facebook.  Here in the Trenches, we like Facebook because of the incriminating information we find.   We like it because our clients and their spouses find their long lost loves on Facebook and leave their spouses.  This year, we like it for different reasons.  We like it because we can find our law school friend and have coffee with her for the first time in 19 years (and four children between us).  We like it because we can keep in touch with Office Testosterone when he's too sick to actually have an in-person conversation.  We like it because we know what our children are doing and thinking, when they don't actually tell us.  Social media is powerful. It has the ability to tear people apart, but also to bring them back together.  It's all in how you use it and why.

No comments:

Post a Comment