Monday, February 13, 2012

I Don't Know You


I ran into a former client today while walking the puppies.  He was walking his puppies too.  We recognized each other, and.....I waited to see whether he acknowledged knowing me.  You see, not only are my conversations with clients confidential, but so is even admitting they are my client (unless of course, I have filed my appearance with the court).  In the Trenches, that means I really can't even let on that I know them unless they want me to do so.  Some clients don't want others to know they have used a lawyer, or even that they know one by name (too many questions to answer).  And so, when I see them I wait to see what they do.  Today, he greeted me.  We let the puppies greet each other.  My honey thought he was part of the neighborhood puppy owner network.  Then we went on our way.  It isn't always that way, and in fact, sometimes it's kind of awkward to watch the client pretend not to know me and get nervous that I will greet him.  It's all part of life.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment