Thursday, March 28, 2013

Slow Down, You Move Too Fast


Sometimes, the best way to move forward is to move backward.  Sounds counterintuitive, I know, but it's true.  Think about it.  How many times have you known you're too tired to do something, but try to do it anyway?  Nine times out of ten, it doesn't end well.  Whatever it is, you don't do it very well, or you feel just darn awful afterward.  I know when I go out for a run when I don't feel like it, I never quite get the pace, I feel winded, and it's always slower than I'd like.  It would have been so much better if I'd have just curled up with a good book and run another day.  That's kind of how it is here in the Trenches.  Sometimes, you set meetings, and the day before something happens.  You talk to your client, and they're feeling nervous, emotional and dreading the meeting.  You could push ahead with the meeting, but usually that means that much of the progress you've made in the case stops, and in fact,  you regress.  Sometimes, your clients want to make decisions - NOW, even though they are in a raw state, unable to talk to their spouse without yelling, and lacking even the basic information necessary.  What did grandma say?  Oh yes, act in haste; repent at leisure.  Isn't it the truth.  At times, you need to slow down to move fast, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment