Wednesday, July 24, 2013

People Like Me


Mine was not the only father to die in the last few months.  Once people found out about my dad, I learned about all kinds of colleagues who have lost their fathers.  It sort of feels like an epidemic, even though it's just an inevitable part of our all growing older.  Isn't that how it is here in the Trenches?  When you're happily married, you almost never hear of people you know getting divorce, but when you're getting a divorce, it seems like divorce is rampant.  I wonder why that is.  Is it because when you're happy in your marriage, people who are divorcing don't feel comfortable sharing their news, and of course, when you're divorcing you're one of the gang?  Or is it that we unconsciously seek out people who are like us, and like us can refer to marital status as well as any other similarity?  I don't know, but what I do know is that everyone's parents seem  to be dropping like flies.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment