Thursday, August 15, 2013

How Hard Can It Be?


Most of my clients are adults - at least chronologically.  So, why is it that so many of them are incapable of handling basic tasks?  It's not my child support that's screwed up.   So why is it I have to call Child Support Enforcement to fix the problem?  I give them the number.  I tell them who to call.  If they don't want to call, I give them the address.  Yet, time and again, my office is the one that makes the call.         Bank Statements?  Same thing.  Oh, credit cards?  Yup, you got it.  MVA records, Social Security Statements and tax returns.  All the same.  Things that can be handled with a simple phone call by the clients themselves are far more complicated when someone other than the client calls.  The institutions want lots of identification, they want subpoenas and court orders from us that their own customer doesn't need.  We tell clients this.  Some of them are too overwhelmed to do it themselves.  It's an emotional time for them, so we understand.  Some don't know the right questions to ask and get too confused.  Again, we get it.   Others, however, just don't want to be bothered.   You can tell which ones they are, and we're not so understanding even though we do it.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment