Wednesday, August 28, 2013

I Give You My All, But Is It Appreciated?


Working and living here in the Trenches is hard.  It's difficult work, with highly emotional people.  The issues are tricky.  Sometimes, the clients are ugly.  Sometimes, it's opposing counsel.  Sometimes, you can't settle and the judge comes out with a decision that doesn't feel fair.  It takes its toll.  At times, you wonder if it's really worth it.  Does anyone ever really appreciate what you do for them?  Then my Dad died.  One client brought me an orchid, and video recorded the mourner's kaddish at Friday night services for me.  A number of others sent me notes and emails.  Some called to see how I was.  When I sat down to think about it, I received more notes and condolences from clients than I did from friends and colleagues.  To be fair, many of my friends here in the Trenches were there for me, covering my cases and just being there.  Still, the outpouring from my clients made me cry.  They may not say so because they are suffering through their family law matters, but the last month answered the question of whether clients care that you go above and beyond for them.. They do.  Thank you all.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment