Monday, September 2, 2013

They Paved Paradise....


I swim all summer in the outdoor pool in my neighborhood.  Usually, it's just me, the lifeguards and a few other people.  This past weekend was the last weekend of the outdoor pool season.  I showed up at the pool to swim, and the manager told me it would be a "challenge" to swim my laps.  He wasn't kidding.  I've never seen so many people at the pool.  It seemed like everyone who lived in the neighborhood was there.  Now that the pool was about to close, everyone was afraid it was going to be gone and they would have missed it.  Too bad, they didn't miss it the rest of the season.  Bt now that it was about to be gone....
Oh my, isn't this so like the Trenches?  On so many levels, it is.  How many clients out there don't want their spouse until their spouse moves on and finds someone else?  Then, they worry about what they let go.  Then there are the clients who want a different life, until they find out that the new life means a fresh start with half the assets.  Then, they want the old one back.  We're always afraid we're missing something; it's just human nature.  That's why advertising is so effective - we always want the next best thing.  What we have isn't good enough.  Wouldn't it be nice, though, if we appreciated what we had while it was still in front of us?  It was good enough when we first acquired it, whatever "it" is.  What if we actually explored why it isn't good enough now?  It would cut down on our business, but it's too much work for most people.   Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment