Monday, September 30, 2013

Welcome October?


I won't kid you.  I love birthdays.  I love making them at least a week-long celebration.  It's easy for me to make the entire month of October a birthday celebration, as daughter's birthday is exactly two weeks after mine. We just roll from one birthday to another.  This year, however, my birthday falls on the three month memorial of my dad's death.  Already I'm guessing that this birthday will be a bit bittersweet.  After all, how many people count a visit to their father's grave as part of the birthday celebration?  You may be asking how all of this relates to the Trenches, but you know I'll find a way.  You also know I've been there.  How many years will it take before you can pass your anniversary and your former spouse's birthday without it feeling weird that you're not celebrating?  How long before the new way you're celebrating Christmas, Thanksgiving,  Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur feels right instead of strange?  Quite a while.  Eventually though, you find your way to your new normal.  It will happen, trust me.  It just takes time.   Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment