Monday, September 9, 2013

Sometimes, People Surprise You


Nothing really surprises me anymore.  I know, you expect that from folks who work here in the Trenches.  Today, however, I was bowled over, rendered speechless, and had my faith in human nature renewed.  Once upon a time, 4 or so years ago, I had a client.  She was a good client.  She didn't earn a lot of money, but we came to an arrangement of how much she could pay me and when. She kept her part of the bargain.  When things were tough and she couldn't pay for a few months, she called me to let me know and to tell me when she could pay again.  She always kept her word.  Then she got cancer.  She called me.  She told me.  I cried; she's a young woman with a young child and such a nice person.  But I digress from my story.  She, obviously, wasn't working and couldn't pay.  She told me.  She kept me up to date.  We here in the Trenches talked and decided to write off her balance.  It wasn't an insubstantial amount, but it wasn't a lot.  I told her what we decided and why.  We told her not to worry about it, that it was our gift to her.  That was in 2011.  She called today and paid her bill in full.  That's right - paid her bill in full.  We told her she didn't have to, that it was our gift to her.  She insisted.  She said we were there for her when she needed us, we understood when she was sick.  She's still not well, but she's back to work and her finances are in good shape, so she wanted to pay her debts.  Wow.   I wish I could say this rarely happens, but I wouldn't be telling the truth.  This has never happened before.  I have no words - except "Thank you."  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment