Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Risking Life and Limb


The weather is kicking our butts here.  For the second time in two weeks, Frederick County closed the courthouse.  Not that I blame them.  Frederick County has some of the worst snow removal services in Maryland.  Today, we had ice.  So much ice that trees fell across one of the main streets of Frederick.  After I crawled across the deck to help puppy girl over the bridge to the backyard and slid my way across the sidewalk to get to my car, I decided that there was nothing so important to risk my life over.  The client I was supposed to meet did not agree.  Really?  I do many things for my clients.  Risk my life?  Not one of them.

That client's unrealistic expectations about whether I should risk my life to travel to the office matches the unrealistic expectations this client has about what I am supposed to do.  This client doesn't work with me.  This client doesn't want to take responsibility for their own decisions.  That's my job.  That way,  there's someone to blame when things go wrong, and it's not the client.  Some days it's hard to love my job.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment