Thursday, November 1, 2012

Divorce Insurance Anyone?


Our own Little Miss Sunshine, a.k.a. Erin Shine, suggested that we write about divorce insurance.  Yes, you heard me right, divorce insurance.  It seems there's a company in North Carolina that is selling divorce insurance.  Each unit costs $16 per month and provides $1,250 of reimbursement for legal fees.  All you have to do is send in your divorce decree to be reimbursed.  My first reaction was "Ewwww."  Then, I stopped and thought some more.  Sure, divorce insurance is unromantic; then again, so is a prenuptial agreement.   I just purchased long term care insurance, and my choices were 1,2, 4, 5 years or indefinite coverage.  In other words, I'm betting on how long I'm going to live after I need in home nursing care.  It sounds morbid to bet that a marriage will end, but is it really any different than purchasing long term care insurance?  Probably not.  I can't see that divorce insurance would have a big market in first time marriages, but given that most second marriages fail, maybe it's not such a bad idea. I guess other people don't feel the same as I, because their website is down.  Interesting concept though - Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment