Monday, April 14, 2014

The Bathroom Remodel


I had house guests coming on Sunday.  They are staying for 5 days.  My house is a disaster.  We are replacing all of the old fixtures in the master bath.  Both the old and the new pieces are in various places in the house while the tile is being pulled up and new tile laid.  All of the stuff from under the sink and in the bathroom are in other rooms, one of them the guest room.  Certainly, I've done the best I can to make the house presentable, but it still doesn't look great.  My guests are coming anyway.  If I had my druthers, would the house look better?  Of course.  Will it look fantastic when it's done?  Need you ask?  Right now, however, we'll make do.  What I've done is acceptable.  One day, it will be fantastic.

Life in the Trenches is a lot like my house.  Our clients' lives are in the process of renovation.  The structure of their old lives is being changed, whether they like it or not.  In many cases, their lives are stripped down to the bare structure, with all the pieces scattered everywhere.  The essential pieces they need to rebuild are not where they're supposed to be, and where they are don't seem particularly organized, nor appear very attractive.  Maybe they don't have all the pieces they need yet.  Their lives feel like a mess.  It's uncomfortable.  They are not at a point where their new lives have structure.  To them, it all feels like my house.  What most of them don't see is that piece by piece, they are making sense of their new reality.  Changes are solidifying and taking form.  Progress is slow, but steady.  Everyone moves at their own pace.  One day, however, they'll look up and see all of the pieces have come together in a form that makes sense.  Their lives have structure and form.  It's different but nice.    
They can't imagine that they were worried about their future.  We help our clients set the foundation for their new lives.  Now, if my bathroom would only be done.....Here in the Trenches.

1 comment: