Wednesday, March 23, 2011

At the Crossroads

Back in 1998, I opened my office out here in Olney because that's where my kids were.  I wanted to be available if they needed to come home or stay home from school.  As they got older, I wanted to be near by if they wanted to grab a snack, stop in for a minute, and have a talk.  Now one child is a teacher himself, and the baby is in college.  As much as I love my 2 minute commute, I've come to the conclusion that the success of my business depends on being closer to a courthouse.  First, the question was primary office in Rockville with a second office in Frederick; or a primary office in Frederick with a second office in Rockville.  Once I figured that out (Frederick), then I've had to decide whether to keep my practice the same size or plan for growth.  Growth is scary.  It's a bigger expenditure, a bigger risk.  Staying small is safe.  If I plan small, then there's no chance of expanding, of following my dream of a Collaborative Divorce Practice and Training Center.  I need to follow my heart.  Gulp!

No comments:

Post a Comment