Monday, March 28, 2011

Perfect Fit


I bet you didn't know there are as many ways to practice family law as there are family law attorneys.  Most people think that one attorney is just like another, that there really is no difference between us.  They're wrong.  There are as many different types of attorneys as there are clients.  There are also as many types of family law practices as there are attorneys.
This is not a post about dogs and their owners.  This is about doing what works for you.  A very good friend drove that home to me last week, while I was looking for office space.  She is quite successful by anybody's standards - she has two associates in addition to herself.  As a result, she spends a lot of her time not practicing law, but administering an office and marketing her practice.  She has a lot less time, and probably inclination, to become intimately involved in her clients' story.  It works for her, and most importantly, it works for her clients.  It wouldn't work for me - in fact, it would make me miserable.  I have little desire to manage associates (the idea terrifies doesn't appeal to me).  I'm not a big joiner or a group person, more like a one-on-one kind of girl.  Being small lets me (and my wonderfully intrepid office staff) enter into our client's story in a way that wouldn't be possible if we were bigger, and help them the way our clients need to be helped.  They're not the same kinds of clients as my friend's, but then again, I'm not the same kind of attorney.  That's OK.

No comments:

Post a Comment