Monday, October 10, 2011

My Dirty Little Secret

We all have them, don't we?  Some are truly delicious, and some are shameful.  My dirty little secret is "Trial Karen."  You see, I like to try cases.  My enjoyment has nothing whatsoever to do with my clients, because as you know, I believe taking a family law case to court is the worst thing for the family.  As a result, I try like the dickens to help my clients settle cases.  I actually feel I've failed if I am unable to do so.  Still, I love trying cases, questioning witnesses, making legal arguments, and generally appearing before a judge.  So it is a rare thrill for me when I have a case that has to be tried, where there is no settlement position, there's no middle road, and it just has to go before the judge.  For a trial lawyer, there's nothing quite like the adrenalin rush of beingin a courtroom, facing off against a professional adversary, matching wits, and that "aha" moment when you know you've won the case.  It's exciting and recharging, but for a collaborative, settlement minded girl like me, somewhat of a paradox.  It's even better when you win (and I did).  Now I can put away "Trial Karen's" cape and go back to being humble Karen, the collaborative practitioner.  You won't tell, will you?

No comments:

Post a Comment