Monday, July 16, 2012

First Contact


The end of last week brought so many things that reminded me of the Trenches.  Lucky you, we get to talk about them this week.  Friday, I got to spend the entire day having medical tests (don't worry, nothing terribly wrong, just scheduled some routine stuff along with diagnostics on that darn foot).  There were so many things about that day of tests that remind me of the Trenches that I don't know where to start.  Let's start first on the interpersonal level.  I hate having medical tests.  They cause me a lot of stress, even though I'm pretty sure they'll show nothing.  I procrastinate about calling for an appointment, and I'm not usually in the best frame of mind when I finally work up the courage to make the call.  Sure sounds like how our clients feel here in the Trenches when they find they need our services.  They hold off making that call because they're scared - scared of facing the end of their relationship, scared of the unknown of life in the Trenches, scared of their future after they leave the Trenches.  They procrastinate and worry about making that call to us, and when they do, they're a wreck; they don't know what to say, what to ask, how to choose the right attorney.  That's why what happens when they finally place the call is so important.
If we go back to my call to the radiologist's office, here's what happened.  I called, talked to a lovely woman who chatted with me about how I hate getting tests, that I had a number of them to do,  and I was dreading it.  She commiserated with me, and in the course of the conversation also found out that I had another test to schedule.  Turns out they did that one too, so I scheduled it, and on the same day as the other tests.  Wow.  I could get it all done at once.   I was happy, even though I had to have the tests.  I like to think a client's first call to the Trenches goes the same way.  They usually get Chrystal on the phone.  She's fabulous, and can talk to anyone about anything.  She chats with the caller, listens to  their story, shares information, and makes them feel, if not comfortable about making an appointment in the Trenches, at least secure that they're coming to a place where people care what happens to them.  They feel safe and cared for - the Trenches version of happy.  That's our aim.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment