Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Strawberries or Blueberries?


I really like strawberries and blueberries.  They're not the same, and I don't like them the same.  Kind of like my children.  I love them both.  They're very different people.  I love different things about them, and we do different things together.  There are things I really like about both of them; they're just different things.   If you asked me, I couldn't tell you that I love one more or less than the other.   I just can't compare them in any real and rational way.   Yes, this has plenty to do with the Trenches, but probably not in the way you think.  Here in the Trenches, our clients are very often asked to compare and choose between two very dissimilar things.  We ask then to decide what they want more, the house (a stable and familiar residence) or the retirement (stability in old age).  Do they want alimony (periodic income) or more property (an investment that can generate or supplement income)?  More child support or control over legal decisions?  More time with the children for less support?  These are all really tough decisions, made all the more difficult because the things that have to be weighed aren't at all alike.   Yet, that's what our clients have to do, and we help them weigh the options, assess the pros and cons, and make a decision.  It's kind of asking me to choose which of my children I love more.   Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment