Thursday, January 17, 2013

Different strokes for Different Folks


One of my colleagues here in the Trenches qualified for the Boston Marathon (We are so proud of Noel Tucker!).  She has 88 days of training to go.  She posts here training progress on Facebook.  Noel runs 8:16 minute miles.  (Yes, you read correctly.)  I run 10-11 minute miles.  As you know, next month I'm running in the Disney Princess Half Marathon.  I have three goals for that race: first, to have fun; second, to finish in under 2.5 hours; and third, to finish and not be injured.  Anyway, I've been reading Noel's posts, and reading about different ways of training, and decided to work on my speed.  I upped my pace to 9:45 minute miles, and ran my Saturday and my Tuesday run....and my knee started to hurt. I went back to my goals, and I'm back to 11 minute miles and no pain.  Maybe I'll work on speed after the Princess.
What does this mean for the Trenches?  It means that everyone's different.  How my friend Noel trains and how I train are different because our abilities and our bodies are different.  It's the same in the Trenches.  Every client is different; every case is different.  What works for one family or client does not work for another.  Part of our work in the Trenches is not only knowing the law, but learning about and understanding the families and clients with which we work.  By understanding them and their goals, we  can help craft a solution that works for them and at their pace.  Here in the Trenches.

PS.  Waking up this morning, I had an incredible urge to set something I wrote here straight.  (No, Noel didn't say anything - that's not how she is.)  Noel's 8+ minute miles in training were after she had taken off running seriously for much of the Fall and early Winter.  She is actually much faster than that, and was not especially pleased with her per mile time.  I, on the other hand, am not usually any faster than 10-11 minutes a mile, and absurdly pleased I ran an average of 9:45 miles for those two days.  Truth in advertising, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment