Thursday, January 3, 2013

Less Business? Not Likely


I went to a meeting today, and one of my friends here in the Trenches asked if I really meant that we could use less business.  That's the quandary of those of us who toil in the Trenches.  Do I really want less business, as in earning less money?  Of course not - working in the Trenches is how I make a living.  It's how I pay my mortgage, for the groceries, the kids' college tuition.  Let me be brutally honest, however.  I am a romantic.  Nothing gives me greater pleasure than helping my parents celebrate their 53rd wedding anniversary.  Heck, my grandparents made it past 60 years of marriage.  Doesn't that give you chills?  It does me.  The thing is that of the people who read yesterday's blog post or other advice like it, almost none of them will follow it.  Of those who follow the advice, even fewer can sustain it.  It would be nice if everyone 1)  would think more and marry less; 2) would understand that marriage is hard work; 3)  wouldn't take those who they love for granted.  It's not going to happen, so I'm not worried about getting into a different line of work, but maybe one or two saved marriages would be nice.  The romantic in me wants happy endings.  That's why, even though I understand marriages fail, I view my job as helping people move forward with their lives so they can be happy and successful, and yes, maybe find that person with whom they can celebrate 50 years of marriage.  I, and my colleagues in the Trenches, help them divorce in a way that preserves their dignity and privacy, and lets them know that someone cares whether their divorce is a positive event in the timeline of their lives, or simply a miserable way to end a bad marriage.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment