Monday, January 28, 2013

The Trusted Advisor


One of the most important jobs we have here in the Trenches is as trusted advisor.  Our clients trust us to look out for them and to take care of them.  I don't just mean for the dispute at hand.  Take today, for instance.  I had a client way back when I was just starting out in the Trenches.  I really liked her; we worked well as a team, and she appreciated my representation.  She's sent me a client or two through the years.  Today, her children called.  It seems their Dad, the husband who I helped my client divorce, was dying; and they needed legal advice about his situation and didn't know where to turn or who to ask.  Their mom told them to call me, that I would I steer them in the right direction. Of course,  I was able to send them to someone I trusted who could help.  That call meant at least as much to me as any client that woman sent my way because it wasn't about my work in the Trenches.  This former client trusted me and my judgment so much that when a legal problem unrelated to the Trenches came up, she knew I would send her to the right person for the job.  She trusted my judgment, and not just as it related to her family matter. High praise indeed, and for what we strive.  Here in the Trenches.

No comments:

Post a Comment