Thursday, January 13, 2011

Why Family Law?

I had lunch with a friend and colleague yesterday, and as luck would have it, we started talking about what we like and don't like about the practice of family law.  Funny thing, neither one of us could think of any other type of law we'd like to practice.  Why is that?  Well, it could be the stories; heaven knows, divorcing couples do the strangest things.  Except it isn't.  It could be that the practice of family law presents new and interesting legal arguments.  Except it doesn't.
So, what is it that keeps us engaged and interested?  It's the people.  Not in the way you might think, however.  It's really no fun dealing with nice people behaving badly.  If it came to that, criminal law, where bad people are on their best behavior, would be what we'd do.  We practice family law because we like people, and I mean really like people.  We love interacting with people, and hearing their stories.  Most of all, we like helping people.  I know it's true for me.  At the end of the day, nothing warms my soul more than knowing I helped one of my clients work through the issues, financial, custodial and emotional, and develop the tools necessary to move forward with their lives productively and happily.  That's what keeps me looking forward to work in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment