Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Mirror, Mirror On the Wall....


If I simply ignore my allergies, they will go away.  Right?  Wrong!  If I simply admit I'm an alcoholic, the problems that flow from that state will disappear.  Right?  Wrong! If I simply have custody of my children, all of their problems will disappear.  Right?  Wrong! If I simply hold my breath, I will not turn blue and pass out.  Right?  Wrong!  If I blame everyone else for all my problems, no one will ever hold me accountable for anything.  Right?  Wrong!  Yes, today has been a day of magical thinking (although if you have a sure fire cure for seasonal allergies, I'm listening).  Wishing doesn't make it so, folks, no matter how much you hope.  Your children's problems didn't appear overnight, and you probably have some role to play in their creation, whether it's because you caused them or did nothing while the other parent caused them.  Admitting you have a problem is a first step, but only a first step; the rest of the hard work comes after the initial realization and takes A LOT of time and effort to see results.  We all have problems and none of us is blameless in either their creation or exacerbation.  Please take a look in the mirror and see what is there, and not just what you want to see.  We here in the Trenches will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment