Tuesday, November 15, 2011

A Good Reputation


Ever have one of those days?   I got up this morning, had a leisurely breakfast, checked my emails, got aggravated at what opposing counsel were up to, hopped in the car with plenty of time to get to my 10:00am hearing in Frederick.  Got to Frederick at 9:40am - 40 minutes late for my 9:00am hearing.  Oops!   Yes, I was flustered, embarrassed and stressed when I checked the docket sheet in the lobby.  I rushed upstairs to chambers, literally fell to my knees in front of the Master to apologize....and she said, "Thank God you're here.  I thought you must have had a car crash and I was worried."  No, she was not being facetious.  You see, when I'm going to be late, even 5 minutes, I call.  Every time.  It doesn't happen often, but because I call if I am ever late, the Master was worried when I didn't show up and I didn't call.  Another time, the docket was called at 9:00am.  Opposing counsel was not a regular; and her client was not there.  She had called him, and he was literally in the parking garage across the street.  The Master said he should have been on time, held the hearing, and by the time he showed up at 9:03am, we were done.  Ouch!  Fast forward in the same case, same Master, one month later.   The hearing was at 9:00am, but my client thought it was at 10:00am.  Calendar was called, and I represented my client was late.  No problem, said the Master, we'll pass the case until she gets here.  She did, completely hysterical (she remembered what happened the first time), and the hearing was held.  Why the difference in treatment?  Reputation.  I've spent a lot of time and effort making sure the court knows that I am always on time, and that I have enough respect for them to call if I'll be late.  What that means is that on the rare occasions like today when I screw up my calendar, they're worried, not angry.  It translates to my clients as well because I don't abuse it.
Reputation is built on other things as well.  I have a reputation with court neutrals of providing an even handed history of a case; whenever one of them is appointed in a case in which I represent a party, they call me first to get a feel for the history of the case and the lay of the hand.  I have a reputation with the court of dealing honestly and respectfully with the court and with counsel.  I don't play games.  I may kick your butt, but I'll do it honestly and according to the rules.  My clients benefit from that reputation, but my reputation outlives any case.  When clients hire lawyers, they hire for experience, knowledge... and reputation.  The good reputation of the lawyer is one of the intangibles in trying and settling a case, and it matters here in the Trenches, as in the rest of life.  It's fragile, and easily destroyed if abused.  A bad reputation is long lasting and difficult to change.  Don't ask us to risk a good reputation, because we won't - for anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment